Bay Area Habitat for Humanity Houston
Responsible for accounting and financial activities of the affiliate including treasury and cash flow management, mortgage and escrow accounting, accounts payable, financial statements, and coordinating the annual audit, 990 filing, and budget preparation. Ensure that all accounting and financial functions are performed in an accurate and timely manner.
● Maintain chart of accounts and proper accounting records.
● Enter bookkeeping weekly, including mortgage payments, donations, construction expenses, and general administrative expenses.
● Maintain the organization’s bank accounts, servicing of the organization’s loans, and banking relationships.
● Prepare all month-end adjusting journal entries and bank account reconciliations.
● Manage the organization’s accounts payable and receivable.
● Prepare financial documentation, as needed, for grant funders.
● Process mortgage payments as they arrive and send all payments to bank.
● Prepare monthly mortgage reports.
● Work with delinquent homeowners according to the plans set by the Board of Directors and Executive Director.
● Set up and track homeowners’ mortgages and escrow accounts. Verify that appropriate documentation is maintained in the homeowner records. Work with AmeriNat (mortgage servicer) or Habitat Texas on all mortgage matters including delinquencies, escrow, and forbearance and foreclosure matters.
● Oversee documents required to transfer property, including working with the title company to set closing dates.
● Review Loan Estimate and Closing Disclosure documents and files prior to distribution.
● Maintain homeowner financial status and information in Keystone database program.
● Maintain and update Family Selection files on potential homeowner families including credit reports, screenings, tax forms, and other pertinent documents on an ongoing basis.
● Maintain and update paper files on homeowner families including closing documents, mortgage delinquencies, and any other pertinent information on an ongoing basis.
● Make annual payments to homeowners’ insurance agencies and to the appropriate appraisal districts, maintaining appropriate balances in homeowner escrow accounts.
● Review mortgage servicing and origination processes and reconciliation of mortgage servicing software to accounting software.
● Work with financial brokerage company and financial institutions regarding leverage of mortgage portfolio.
● Prepare monthly financial summary, balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and other financial operating reports.
● Develop the operating budget for the affiliate. Monitor budget results and variances and recommend necessary actions.
● Develop cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes a minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs. Monitor cash projections and variances and report these variances to the Executive Director.
● Lead all affiliate treasury activities including bank financing, mortgage sales and line of credit activities including loan renewals, draws and draw downs.
● Review financial procedures periodically to make them more efficient.
● Work on any project deemed necessary by the Executive Director.
Compliance and Control
● Monitor compliance with document retention policies.
● Maintain strong financial reporting structure including internal control procedures, budgeting, and stewardship of assets.
● Implement and comply with the financial and accounting policies of Habitat International, including internal control processes established for the protection of assets.
● Facilitate annual audit and tax (990) preparation and the filing of any required governmental reports.
● Prepare monthly house construction cost analysis for Executive Director and
Construction Project Manager.
● Maintain expense budgets for constructions projects.
● Communicate with timeliness, clarity, and positivity with people of all levels.
● Maintain completeness, accuracy, and punctuality of reports and other assignments.
● Must pass criminal background check and sexual offender check.
● Must have bachelor’s degree in either finance, accounting, or business administration with concentration in accounting or related field, or equivalent work experience.
● Mortgage origination and processing experience a plus.
● Five years paid experience working in a nonprofit organization is preferred.
● Must be proficient with QuickBooks Pro and Excel, and knowledge of construction accounting a plus.
● Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to meet the company’s insurance requirements. Occasional driving is required.
Please send cover letter and resume by email to Jan Simpson at email@example.com
Bay Area Habitat for Humanity
1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 420
Houston, Texas 77058